+ National Dairy Research Innstitute Karnal
The National Dairy Research Institute metamorphosed from erstwhile Imperial Institute for Animal Husbandry& Dairying, which was established at Bangalore, India in 1923. In 1936, it was expanded and renamed as Imperial Dairy Institute. It was in 1955 that its Headquarters were shifted to Karnal at the location formerly called Central Cattle Breeding Farm. With a view to consolidate the infrastructure already developed at Bangalore, the unit was reorganised to serve as the Southern Regional Station of the Institute. In 1962 and 1964, two regional stations were established in Bombay and Kalyani, respectively, to serve as the Western and Eastern regions of the Country. The Western Regional Station (WRS) at Bombay was subsequently closed down in 1984. The Southern and the Eastern Regional Stations continue to provide region specific R&D support for dairy development in relation to the agro-climatic conditions that exist in those areas. In 1970, the Institute's management was weaned away from the Ministry of Agriculture and brought under the wings of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research with a view to provide greater operational autonomy in research management functions. In 1989, status of Deemed University was conferred to the Institute for further strengthening the academic programmes for human resource development. The Institute provides high quality education in the field of dairying, which has no parallel in Asia. It is noteworthy that NDRI is not only an important contributor of manpower in dairying required at State Agricultural Universities (SAUs) but also it plays an important role in enhancing the teaching capabilities of SAUs dairying faculty. To recognize its HRD capability , two Centres of Advanced Studies in Dairy Cattle Breeding and Dairy Technology disciplines were established at NDRI to further strengthen the research and training components of these divisions.
The National Dairy Research Institute as country's premier Dairy Research Institution has developed considerable expertise over last five decades in different areas of Dairy Production, Processing, Management and Human Resource Development. Information generated at the Institute and services offered have contributed to the growth of the Dairy Industry as a whole and well being of millions of milk producer and consumers of milk and milk products. Realizing the challenging need of globalized Dairy Trade, the institute is continuously working to develop its R&D and HRD programmes to better serve the nation in terms of food security. employment generation, poverty alleviation and economic prosperity.
The 560 ha campus of the Institute is self sufficient in housing laboratories, offices, hostels, hospital, residential complexes, auditorium etc. Various laboratories of the Institute are equipped with latest sensitive analytical instruments for carrying out research in most advanced areas of Molecular Biology, Cell Culture, Fermentation Technology, Protein Chemistry, Nutritional Studies, Food Technology, Microbiology, Micro Element Analysis etc.
The following support sections act as central facilities for catering to the R&D activities of the institute.
Livestock Farm, Fodder Farm, Animal Breeding Complex, Animal Health Complex, Model Dairy Plant, Experimental Dairy Plant, Consultancy Unit, National Library on Dairy Science, National Bio-informatic Centre, Computer Centre, Estate Section and Maintenance Engineering Section
Ambala | Bhiwani | Chandigarh | Fatehabad | Faridabad | Gurgaon | Hisar | Jhajjar | Jind | Kaithal | Karnal | Kurukshetra | Mahendergarh
Mewat | Panchkula | Panipat | Rewari | Rohtak | Sirsa | Sonepat | Yamunanagar